Saturday, June 28, 2008

How you spell Scouting and Priesthood: S-E-R-V-I-C-E




Yesterday morning at 8:00, I woke up and got ready for an Eagle Project. We were supposed to be at the church by 9:15 but people really started showing up around 9:45. But hey, it was a church activity what could you expect? Right??? Anyway once everyone was there we realized that we had expected about 12 or 13 people but we only had 9. But that was ok, more food for the rest of us. =D The project was for my friend, Spencer, who was putting up an informational kiosk, up near Idaho City. We got there at about 10:30 and went straight to work.

We dug 4 4ft holes in the ground, but it was constantly caving in so we had to excavate around the holes too so it wouldn't keep filling in where we had already dug. We had to put large wooden posts into the ground at exactly 6 ft apart. And then we had to mix cement to pour in. We mixed it in wheelbarrels so it was a bit tough but we managed. There was one really annoying wheel barrel though that had to metal bars plated at the bottom of it so it was hard to mix. So we had to switch off on that one.






I think one of the hardest parts was keeping from falling into the hole while pouring cement because it was so heavy it just felt like you would fall over into the hole. Which I don't know about you but I don't think I'd like a wheel barrel plunged into my stomach. Probably not the greatest feeling.

Then we had to make the actual information boards which was fun except we couldn't use the shiny nuts. They wouldn't fit the bolts so we had to use the... not so shiny nuts. Then we ran out of washers but we finally actually finished most of it and we are going to have to go back and finish attaching them at some point.


I thought it was a pretty good Eagle project actually my favorite project I've helped with. I also think it was a good workout because I swear my left shoulder gained like 5 lbs. of muscle just from mixing cement. But in the end it was awesome. Now we are just waiting on the local forest service to put the info. on the kiosks. I can't wait to see the end result. It's a great feeling, service. Probably one of the best feelings you can have.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm glad you went and did this. I am so impressed with your positive and willing attitude. You guys did a good job and I know that there are lots of people who without even knowing it, will be grateful for your service. I mean, they will be grateful for the information, but it may never occur to them that a bunch of scouts made it possible.

You and your friends in the scout troop are awesome!

Robin said...

I love your blog! It is fun to read, you write well.

What a great eagle project. You are a great guy Austin! I can't wait to see you tomorrow!